Policy, Politics, and Global Health
A. Analyze the values and ethics (suggested length of 23 pages) of a policy issue by doing the following:
1. Analyze a health or nursing profession policy issue that impacts a group of people and requires a policy change.
a. Discuss why you selected the issue.
b. Discuss the issues relevance to health or the nursing profession, using two pieces of academically appropriate literature from the last five years.
2. Analyze how your values impact your position on the policy issue.
a. Discuss the ethical principle (e.g., autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence, justice) or theory (e.g., utilitarianism based on consequentialism; nursing and midwifery code of conduct based on deontological theory) that underpins your perspective.
B. Discuss how you will evaluate the success of your work for the following:
1. Your policy brief (a top-down approach)
2. A community/organization plan (a bottom-up approach)
C. Develop a policy brief for the issue discussed in part A (suggested length of 46 pages) in which you do the following:
1. Identify the decision maker (name and title) who will receive the policy brief.
a. Explain why the issue requires the decision makers attention, using relevant nursing research from the last five years to support your position.
2. Discuss the main challenges of addressing the selected issue.
3. Discuss the primary options/interventions for the decision maker, including why they are tangible.
4. Propose a persuasive course of action for the decision maker, including ways to avoid the challenges identified in part C2.
D. Create a plan (suggested length of 23 pages) for working with a community/organization to address the policy issue discussed in part A by doing the following:
1. Identify an organization/community that has expressed interest in your selected health or nursing profession issue.
a. Summarize evidence supporting why the organization/community has expressed interest in the selected issue.
2. Identify three CBPR principles you could use to work with the organization/community to address a policy change.
a. Explain how you could approach and collaborate with the organization/community.
b. Discuss how the goal of the community/organization aligns with your goal for this policy issue.
c. Discuss the action steps to achieve your goal from part D2b.
d. Discuss the possible roles/responsibilities of community/organization members, including problem-solving and capacity-building roles.
e. Discuss key elements (e.g., social justice, patient autonomy, professional responsibility, individual responsibility, utilitarianism) of developing a collaborative evaluation plan, using CBPR principles (i.e., how the organization could evaluate success of the plan).
E. Analyze (suggested length of 1 page) the strengths and challenges of the top-down and bottom-up approaches in achieving policy change(s) to support your selected issue.
F. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.